Thursday, February 1, 2007

Sport

Scientists at the Australian National University say that left handed people have an advantage when playing sport. This is because information is transfered more quickly across left and right hemispheres of the brain and a lefty is better at processing info across the 2 sides of the brain and they both sides of their brain to process information more effeciently than righties.

Find this hard to believe - especially the bit about sport as I am left handed and the most unco-ordinated reject when it comes to any form of sport. I'm the one in long-jump who never got into the sandpit despite an impressive run-up and leaping off the wooden bar thingy, who in volley ball when it came to my turn to serve would have my hand going in one direction and the ball falling by the way-side. Hockey always involved me swinging wildly at the ball and knee-capping fellow players while the ball dribbled merrily away. Basically I was the kid no one picked when it came to choosing teams - even loyal friends would look apologetically at me while picking someone else. Me and another fat kid would always be the last ones left and they'd still pick the fat kid over me - no offence to fat kids I did my time as one too.
From those sporting experiences I learnt to develop a thick skin and cultivate thoughts along the "sod you lah - I know I'm brilliant" vein which has served me well in all other aspects of my life since then ! Sports ? Character Forming? - I'd say.

Dont know if anyone has been following the Celebrity Big Brother Shilpa Shetty furore in the UK with shocking revelations about Jade Goody being racist. Why the shock? Jade's an uneducated, classless tart who's mother is no better - surely racism is expected. Racism in all its forms inevitably stems from ignorance and lack of education - what is shocking is that this kind of show is allowed to run especially in UK where racial tension is already at breaking point. The Big Brother phenomenon (in Australia and the UK) is quite remarkble and says more about us as a society than the actual participants - its complete drivel and its hard to believe there are people who voluntarily choose to watch this crap - isnt there some saying along the lines of people ultimately get what they deserve? Quite a damning indictment on the UK as a whole if a racist crass tart like Jade Goody is what the UK deserves.