Sunday, June 3, 2007

Fussy

DadofFour (btw you're going to have to change the title of your blog soon), usually tags me and I ignore it coz I'm hopeless at that sort of thing, but this tag can lah - the meaning of my child's name. Since I've only got one it makes it easier to respond.
DD - Dhilshara Rao Mathew, is named after Dhilsha a 16th century moghul princess who lived in Bijapur (present day Andhra Pradesh, India). She was left to defend her kingdom after her father the king passed away -when an enemy army approached the gates of her kingdom she rode out at the head of her army and struck the leader of the enemy army right between the eyes with her bow and arrow. The enemy army fled and news of her bravery and prowess spread and no one ever attacked her kingdom again and she reigned over Bijapur bringing prosperity and peace to her kingdom. Cool eh? I read the story somewhere and thought it was a lovely name and DH liked it too because of the archery part and also in sanskrit it means Happy Heart or Happiness of the Heart - so that decided it. We added the -ra at the end to make it tie in with my name. Of course on hindsight naming her after a warrior princess was probably not the wisest thing to do - she is every bit a warrior and has delusions of grandeur and tries to command us her "slaves".

We are hunting for preschools for DD at present - and its soo difficult or are we just too fussy, when I say we I mean me of course. DH and I really believe in not sending children too early to school so we plan to send DD only next year when she turns four to preschool which means she'll get 3 years of preschool/kindy before going to Year 1 which is more than enough surely. However ever since she was 2 she has been going to Lorna Whiston one day a week and she loves that, she also goes to drama class one day a week and music class one day a week which we feel is more than enough. But am not sure if she's too bored at home, can she last another six months without going to formal preschool? What do you think? This morning she woke up and said "I want to go to school mumma" - and I felt bad for her - maybe she's just had enough of being at home while we dash off to work. Wish she could understand that one day years down the line she'll wish she had the whole day to herself to potter around and do as she wished, laze around and just be. Its a thing of the past for us isnt it but these kids still have that luxury for now but as in everything in life you never what you've got till its gone.